Thursday, December 20, 2012

Blessing Others

 Ok, so my sweet friend Courtney who I have met here through Moms to Moms and happens to live down the street has been doing the 12 days of blessings with her daughter Gentry this year.  I have loved reading her blog and hearing about all the great things she was doing for others and what it meant to them and what she also got out of it.  So it got me thinking; I wanted to do a few "blessings" myself along with Sierra this year.  
So the first one was to our mailman.  Can you imagine doing the mailboxes for 38 apartment buildings that hold 12 families in each building.  He's always moving quick and getting the job done. So I made him a box of Christmas goodies.  I left it in our box with a note on it.  He didn't take it, so I quickly ran after him and personally handed it to him.  He seemed quite surprised and appreciative at the same time.
 Wednesday night our entire family loaded up and headed to our "old" cul de sac, which we will be at again in May to bring some blessings to our neighbors.  Sierra really got into it. She would walk up and hand it to them.  The funniest was at the Murray's house where Kristen opened the goody box in front of Sierra and Sierra pulled one out to show Kristen then proceeded to eat it.  But her son, a senior in high school did it back and took a bite of Sierra's cookie.  Such fun!









 


Today we headed to the Cool Springs Mall with my friend Courtney and her friend Ashley and 5 little girls in tow.   Courtney had made a cute tag on flowers and water bottles that said, "Our family is on a fun mission to keep the focus on others this Christmas. We hope this gesture lit up your heart in a special way today. It sure did make us smile thinking of you."  Then we helped the girls pass out the flowers first.  The ladies in Victoria Secret were soo touched and loved getting to take a picture with Sierra and Gentry and get hugs.
 Then we headed to Santa's Workshop.  We passed out water bottles with candy canes to Santa himself and Santa's helpers.  Sierra gave Santa's his and he seem to appreciate it.  But one of the helpers welled up with tears and said thank you so much.  Her mom had passed away 6 months ago today and her husband was in the hospital with internal bleeding.  It was the blessing she really needed.  Made all of us mamas tear up too.  That's what its all about.
I love that Sierra is learning at an early age how wonderful it feels to give to others and to be a blessing.
Today when I went into Kroger I was greeted by an older man who always is cheerful and pleasant.  He checked on me and then wished me a Merry Christmas.  I felt like I wanted to do something to bless him.  So walking through I was the gift cards and picked up one for Subway for him since its next door.  When I checked out he was my bagger.  I knew I was doing the right thing.  I filled out a Christmas card and then tapped him on the shoulder and said thank you for the warm spirit you share with others, Merry Christmas.  He was extremely touched, said thank you so much, and gave me hug, not even knowing what was inside.  I had tears in my eyes as I walked to my car.  That has to be a small glimpse of how God feels when he blesses us, he smiles and fills full knowing He's blessed us.
So I challenge all of you in the weeks to come to find someone who could use a little blessing, a water bottle with a candy cane, or a gift card.  Something that let's them know they are appreciated for all they do.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mariah! Tearing up as I read your post this morning. It has challenged my heart. Love you! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I guess a little effort can go a long way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet postman brought us two packages this afternoon and said thank you so much for the cookies they were delicious. It make my day all over again.

    ReplyDelete