Monday, August 13, 2012

Trust and Suffering

                                                          
Phil 1- (Message Version)

"There is far more to this life than trusting in Christ.  There is also suffering for Him.  And the suffering is as much of a gift as trusting."

Trusting and suffering...two of the hardest parts of following Christ, but so important in our walk with Him.  Lessons I have found hard to learn but are vital to this life.

A friend here from MOPS lost her baby boy about the same point of time in her pregnancy as I did and yesterday was her actual due date.  I woke up with her on my mind and cried through worship at church for her loss and the pain I know she was feeling.  

I have always felt I was pretty good at the trusting part of Christ in my life.  But I must say my life made it pretty easy to do that trusting.  Nothing dramatically huge had tested it before.  Even past relationships, jobs, trials, moving across the country, I felt I could trust God.  Then I had a horrific event happen in my life. I lost my baby boy, who had a beating heart minutes before my body went into full labor, with nothing to be done to stop it.  

So now the suffering portion for God has become a real reality.  Did I still trust Him?  I now knew first hand how scripture didn't make sense even when given to me in comfort and how deep and dark a hole that I was sitting in could feel.  I understood why some gave up the fight and let the darkness, the sadness swallow them whole.  It is a fight; a daily one.  But I knew I had two choices, to "trust" my God is good and know whatever "suffering" came my way He'd bring me through it.

I share all of this to say that because I am choosing to trust and suffer for Christ (we will have these trials regardless, but how we go through them is the choice) I can support and love on my friend in a way I couldn't have before.  Because of my suffering AND because of my trusting God I can be there and encourage her to walk through her darkness and know God is good and the light is on the other side.  I want to bring Glory to Him, despite my weakness and lack of trusting and I know He knows my heart and will help me to do just that.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful testimony, Mariah. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put!! Thank you for helping me walk through my darkness. Without your comfort and knowing that all will be ok.....I am coming to peace day by day. Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. journey we are walking together. love you too friend

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written Mariah. Thank you for sharing your heart so freely. Love ya, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, Mariah. A beautiful testimony that brings God glory.

    ReplyDelete