Sierra has loved the pool this summer. She thinks she is much more independent than she is. (smiles) But that seems to be her "motto" in life in general. She took a while getting use to putting her face into the water, usually by me forcing it, and likes jumping in, but didn't go much further than that. It has taken all summer so far to get that little one to keep her mouth closed when she goes under. She is always well hydrated at the pool, yuck! But we have accomplished that as well. She's gotten better about practicing her kicks and moving her arms. She has jumped off the diving board, with the assistance of her Daddy on the board and me in the water too, multiple times. She's gotten braver on her own in the baby pool as well.
Jonathan had made the comment a month or so back about wondering if she was going to be more independent on her own or not. I was kinda wondering too, but knew we just had to stay consistent and help her along the way. My goal for her this summer has been to get her to a place where she could save herself if she fell in and glide to the side and hold on. I haven't gone with the puddle jumper, life jacket, or floaties, mainly since its only me and her this summer and it may be my only chance to focus this close on her in the water. Plus the past competitive swimmer in me wants her capable in the water.
The past two times we have gone she has shown a lot more courage and spunk. Today she made her Mama's day. She was with me in the "big" pool on the steps and just started gliding off, putting her face in first towards me; no real prompting on my part. She was just ready. Oh, the joy I felt. Big step in the direction of the goal I have had this summer. After today I'd say there is a good chance we'll make our goal and that is a good feeling.
PS I will try to remember to bring my camera sometime when Jonathan is with us so you can see where we spend a lot of time, but I don't want to on my own as you can understand. :)
Awesome! It was obvious how much she enjoyed the pool in San Antonio. So glad she's learning to swim at such a young age. Wish I had. Love to all, Pam
ReplyDeleteIt's never too late :)
DeleteWe are counting on Sierra to represent the McLaughlins in the Olympics some day. With her energy and athletic ability along with the best teacher...we all have no doubt.
ReplyDeleteYou are sweet, though it would be one stressful thing to be an Olympic Mama! :) If that is God's plan we'll make it through.
Delete